Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Year - 2012

Sanderlings

Monarch caterpillar

Don and I took a short trip up the California coast to Pacific Grove for a few days after Christmas. There we found a flock of Sanderlings feeding on the beach. However, there were numerous people and dogs also sharing the beach. But I got the idea that perhaps this group of birds might be a bit more tolerant of our approach to photograph them. When they were disturbed, they took flight but only went a short distance before returning to the ocean's edge to feed again. One time after a dog had disturbed them, I was able to catch the flock in flight as they moved down the beach a bit. Even though the birds were fairly co-operative, I found photographing them to be very challenging.

Monarchs have returned to our back yard again this year to lay their eggs on our Milkweed plants. In my second photo I photographed a Monarch caterpillar resting on a Mildweed pod. I like the juxtaposition of the caterpillar representing new life and the Milkweed pod with it's seed 'parachutes' that represent the end of the life cycle. Or perhaps the Milkweed also represents the  possibility of new beginnings.

I wish you a joyous NEW YEAR. May your troubles fly quickly by. Remember that even in less than ideal situations there can be blessings. If you look you will find them. And may you always be open to the possibilities of new experiences. Be on the lookout for small graces that come your way. Every day is a gift. Carpe Diem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment